DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry 2004 Auto Transmission Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Default Camry 2004 Auto Transmission Pan Removal

I would like to remove the automatic transmission pan and replace the filter. However, there is one bolt right above the frame that I am cannot remove with the tools I have. Can any one tell me what tool I need to purchase in order to remove this bolt? Advise from anyone that has removed the pan would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Service manual shows no special tools. Might ask this question at the Toyotanation website.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Smile Automatic Transmission Oil Change

First thing you should be aware of is the is one thing I will not do myself due to a bad experience in the past. The filter and gasket I received was NOT the correct parts and this is a real pain pain when the only vehicle you have is up in the air will no auto transmission oil pan. The time and hassle was not worth the effort so now I have the labor done at a local garage but I supply my own preferred parts (correct and far cheaper than OEM from Toyota).

Breaking to the chase. Your correct transmission part can be found on the pillar when the drivers door is open - check it because 2003 used 3 different transmissions. Now you know the transmission, cross check with the part on-line. Take the correct part number to your local parts store (Auto Zone) will always have the correct filter and gasket as long as you have the correct transmission code (the one found when opening drivers door).

There are no special tools required other than metric sockets and a torque wrench.
Be sure to torque in proper sequence when tightening.

To be honest and I'm not joking here, have a PROFESSIONAL shop do this for you.
It is not worth the time nor money to do this yourself. It is messy, dirty and you never know the problems you could run into.

I will never change an automatic tranny oil, filter and gasket again - ever.
Manual tranny yes.

2003 Camry, XLE V6 - (U151E automtic trans)

I have mine changed between 20-25k - well worth the investment
I use only Toyota AT fluid - never trust what someone else uses
I buy my own pan filter, gasket and auto trans oil - based on the OEM tranny installed

Give this to the shop and I pay the labor.
It's in the 90's here and well worth paying someone else to do the labor while I relax in the air conditioned customer waiting area reading and enjoying a Coke.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM

CAD 1292

were you able to get any info about the screws ( I think there are 2) behind the engine support. I just joined and I have the same question. Do you have to jack up the trans, to get a tool in place? is there a 1/4 inch shank T handle with a 10 mm socket on the end? It seems someone must have done this at home by now. Has anyone asked a dealer, or are you given the cold shoulder?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Amazon.com: Beta 897 280mm Flexible 1/4" Drive Impact Bit Holder Socket, 6 Point, with Chrome Plated: Industrial & Scientific

or similar.

K Tool 22500 Universal Joint Socket - 3/8 in Drive

sometimes you need to loosen engine/trannie mounts and jack power train up for clearance. If I could remove pan on my Silverado, everything else could be removed.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM

ukrkoz I looked at the tool and it looks perfect thanks kenny